07 Jan Planning Considerations for Cold Storage in Museums
Planning Considerations for Cold Storage in Museums
1. Assess Collection
3. Determine where items will be stored.
2. Develop a usage policy/ procedure.
4. Create a plan for moving to cold storage.
Download our free guide to get started.
Get your free copy here.
Start planning now!
Cold storage is essential for the long-term preservation of film and other materials that tend to deteriorate quickly. But cold storage also presents a number of challenges, including how to assess and organize collections, how to plan and implement a move, and how to make the most effective use of expensive cooler or freezer space.
What Needs to be Stored in Coll or Cold Conditions
- Negative (glass plate negatives, sheet film, or roll film
- Slides (or any type of transparency)
- Motion picture film and videotape
- Microfilm and microfiche
- X-ray film
- Photographic prints